Old September 27th 17, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Good alternative to Ultima Replenisher electrolyte?

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 8:07:20 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:02:35 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?

I use diluted orange juice.

Usually one tablespoon of juice per water bottle.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Hello Joy, there is more to it than simply replacing electrolytes. I almost had heat prostration on the 3rd by simply drinking Red Bull. It provided sufficient electrolytes but insufficient calories to burn while riding.

When undergoing extreme exercise your digestive processes are impaired and you should take in simple sugars and electrolytes.

I knew this but the length of the ride sort of developed as I was riding. Normally a 72 mile ride wouldn't have nearly killed me but the day started overcast and cool and then after I was beyond the point of no return it got up over 90 with no shade. And the neighborhoods I was riding through were not the sorts where you could leave your bike to go into a store. The one place I did it a guy came directly over to my bike until he saw me on the other side of the glass door and having 8" on him.