Old October 11th 17, 08:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dave[_3_]

Default Finally shifted the seized seat post.

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 15:08:12 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 10/9/2017 1:37 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 12:56:21 PM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:
had to replace the saddle, so I put a few dabs of flour-emery powder
on the seat clamp. There was enough grip that I could get hold of the
saddle and twist the post out.

Now re assembled with copper slip anti seize compound.

Nice! But copper?

For a seat post, molybdenum base or copper base paste are fine.
The high temp aspect of copper is irrelevant but if that's the can he
has then that's the can he should use.

I understand the reason for lubing a seat post to be preventing
dissimilar metals such as aluminium post and steel frame tubes from
coming into contact and galling together. Does galvanic corrosion of the
aluminium with the copper element not cause problems?

--
davethedave