Old February 11th 19, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Conbtinental has come out with a GP5000S and a GP5000TL

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 2:37:27 PM UTC+1, duane wrote:
On 09/02/2019 4:36 p.m., wrote:
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:52:34 PM UTC+1, wrote:
The first is a clincher while the second is a tubeless. Why should a tubeless tire cost more than a clincher?

Not only do they cost more but you can almost buy a pair of the GP4000's that so many people use for the price of a single GP5000S. It's probably more than $100 for a GP5000TL in a shop in case you run over a killer piece of glass in front of a bike shop.

While Continental is the most popular racing tires (Vittoria is actually a better racing tire IMO) the reason I would change is because the MAXXI tubeless tires I'm presently running feel dead. They actually look narrower than a 25 mm Continental but I just went out into the garage and measured them and they are identical. So I guess the Continental is deeper.

They now have Goodyear tubeless tires and perhaps I try those for the Basso. They are a little cheaper and my experience with Goodyear car tires is pretty good even though I'm pretty negative about a lot of things.

In any case, the Continentals are WAY too expensive and while the top of the line Vittoria I have are tubeless I will use them as clinchers on my Colnago.

I guess I will wear the Maxxi's out but only on economic principles.

The 5000S are 41 euros here, the 5000TL 56 euros.

Lou

Have you tried the 5000S?

Not yet. I have a set in my 'operating theater' (for Jay) ready to be mounted on my go fast bike. It is still off road season here.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wx7Xc2EZQHdbQTEG8

Wondering how they compare to the 4000S...

According to the test in TOUR magazine they should be better on every aspect (RR, flat resistance and traction). RR 3-3.5 Watt less. Total 6-7 Watt, that is significant.
We will see.

Lou