Old February 13th 19, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Front cracking noise

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 4:56:57 AM UTC-8, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Last update, I tested it with the bike upside down, so the wheel was
completely unloaded. Reflectors removed, spokes tested and re-tensionned.

The noise is:

* coming from the front wheel;
* present only whith a sufficient rotational speed;
* cracking or sharp clicking, I cannot tell that apart;
* non-cyclic.

Even when it does not make that sound, the hub seems to be making some
low scratching noise.

I still have to try riding with another front wheel, but I have now
eliminated anything that is not at or near the front wheel. The noice
certainly does not come from the frame, pedals, transmission, and
probably not from the handlebar or headset.

If the try with another wheel confirms it comes from the wheel, I will
have a look at the hub bearings on the non-drive side, which appear to
be easy to take apart, and I will eventually open the other side as
well, even if there is a chance that I break it: if the hub is worn out,
the worst that can happen anyway is that I have to buy another one.

--
Tanguy

If that is the sort of hub with free bearings I would suggest that it is a broken ball. This will destroy the race in short order.