Old February 25th 18, 06:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Inexpensive LUX meter from China to measure your bike lamp's output

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 10:10:41 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Opinions vary:
- Frank wants brightness limited to avoid blinding oncoming motorists.

Well, that's an oversimplification at best. I don't want to blind anyone,
and I don't want other cyclists blinding me, which has happened many times.
But that calls for lower intensity only above the horizon. Lumens on the road
shouldn't cause that problem. Assuming, that is, they are properly spread. I
think "hot spots" tend to stop down one's pupils and decrease night vision.

Mostly, I object to the claims that something over 200 lumens is necessary.
I've done too much pleasant riding with B&M lights putting out less than 150
properly focused lumens. I think the cries for more are, at best, ill-informed.

However, it recently occurred to me that at this time of year, there might be
some utility to mega-lumen lights. If they were bright enough to melt the snow,
or (on a night like this) to dry the puddled roads ahead of the cyclist,
I might be convinced to use one. We're almost there.

- Frank Krygowski