Old December 8th 03, 05:40 AM
D H

Default disc brake question

"N Grover" wrote in message
news
Well i knew that someone would tell me to get rim brakes. I'm wanting
these advantages that disc's have to offer (in my mind): 1) I like the
all-weather performance 2) I like the consitency of discs as opposed to
the vulnerabiliy that v-brakes have to a less than perfect braking surface
(ie warped rim). 3) I like the mud clearance of discs

What I'm still hoping for is a disc that will live up to the promise
"setup them up and leave them for a season".

Well, you just described exactly what I have normally done with my 99
Hayes hydraulic setup. I finally have had to rebuild pistons on one caliper,
but that is a pretty simple job and fair enough to be needed after as many
miles as I've put on them.
I think you are blaming Hayes for something that is not really Hayes
fault. I'll admit to having occasional rubs with my Hayes setup, but these
are typically very shortlived, not even lasting out a ride most of the time,
and therefore probably due to a bit of grit etc that temporarily found a
home on the pad.
You mentioned the adapter setup. I don't know exactly what your adapter
looks like, but most adapters are pretty stout and should handle the job
sufficiently. (However, your seatstays are probably flexing more than you
think!) I'm thinking that the real issue _might_ fall in one of these
categories:
1. Your adjustment of pad clearance was not wonderful to start with, leaving
little room on one side?
2. Your frame is unbelievably flexy OR you carry a lot of mass. :-)
3. You use pads that are extra noisy (as some Hayes pads are.)
4. Your hearing is more sensitive than superman's and your tolerance for
"tinging" is as low as my wife's (who has a pretty unhappy case of
tinnitis.)
I'm not here to offer solutions, by the way. Those cost extra. :-)
(And have been offered on here many times before, though I've yet to
receive any royalties for even one of my many wonderful suggestions!) ;-)
--
Off to ride the mountains, D H
Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.