Old May 3rd 15, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default AG: Shopping

On 5/2/2015 9:38 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

I have mastered the art of folding a canvas bag neatly so that it
doesn't take up much space in my pannier.

Now I need to master the art of remembering to take it into the store
with me.

I've often thought it would make sense to just remove the two open-top
shopping panniers from my bike and carry them into the store, instead of
taking in separate shopping bags. Then I'd know to stop shopping when my
panniers were at capacity. If I needed more goods, I could replace some
less-essential items on the shelf. My handlebar bag could carry any
small overflow items.

Trouble is, my ancient Performance brand shopping panniers are a bit too
tricky to get on and off the bike's rear rack. Installing requires some
fishing about with the lower hook, which then gets cinched upwards with
a buckle and velcro. To release, the buckle must be opened, but it's
sort of hidden behind a rack strut.

So I'd say, before buying shopping panniers, it's worthwhile to be sure
they're easy to take off, and very easy to put on.

--
- Frank Krygowski