Old March 21st 18, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Bicycle bottle diameters, why different?

On 2018-03-20 15:54, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2018 3:18 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

The question is, how do you know if a bottle is proper when
buying one online?

Stansport is primarly a camping equipment company. Buy from a
supplier of bicycle equipment.

But is sez "bike bottle" ...

https://www.stansport.com/bike-bottle-26-oz-214-26

I guess they need to learn and test their designs before
release.

I like the Clean Designs bottle
https://www.cleanbottle.com/

30 bucks, yikes. I like their bottom screw lid though. Thanks,
will look for that brand then.

Hmmmm. I wonder where you could buy a water bottle?
https://tinyurl.com/y9zbb7fg

I wrote that I have a source for fitting bottles, I could just buy
more from Cal Gear because they fit like a glove.

The reason for my post was to find out why there isn't a real
standard. Like there is for wheel diameters, tires (well, maybe
with the exception of some Contis). I guess nobody knows.

There is a standard -- 73mm.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_cage You bought a ****ty water
bottle from an outdoor equipment company that probably drew a bottle
on the back of napkin, gave it to some OE plastic bottle manufacturer
in PRC and then marketed the results as a bicycle water bottle. Its
like complaining about Walmart bikes. I wouldn't be surprised if the
bottle is radioactive and full of carcinogens.

What's more surprising to me is that your cages cannot accommodate a
1mm variance.

It's almost 2mm and as I wrote the indentation is also way off.

You need better cages. You can also avoid the whole
issue by going over to your lauded trail-end bike shop, Sam's Town
Cyclery, and buying bottles that you know will fit. Fly the colors!
Support your LBS.

I will if his prices are reasonable and he has 25oz bottles. His web
site is, ahem, not quite there yet.

Who cares about price! The spread couldn't be more than a buck or two, and you want to support the shop. You get cool looking bottles with graphics that make you part of the Sam's Town Cyclery in-crowd. People will come up to you on the trail while you're petting horses and want to talk about Sam's Town. You'll make friends and influence people.

I'm about to walk over to the Bike Gallery to buy a tube and some glue (flat on the way to work, old glue tube dried out and wrong size spare tube). I might just get the glue. Anyway, I'll get scalped, but for what -- a $1? They're nice guys and worked hard to coordinate the delivery of my Trek from Trek Co. Shout out to Justin. Anyway, I get endless free advice from them, and it does not pain me to pay a little more than internet bargain-basement prices for disposables. Yes, there is a point when it becomes highway robbery for a tube, but BG is not that kind of shop. You also have to look at it as an average. I've gotten some killer sale-table deals from BG.

-- Jay Beattie.