Old June 1st 18, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default Two mountain lion stories

On 01/06/2018 8:57 AM, AMuzi wrote:
From this item on the dead WA cyclist:

https://www.outsideonline.com/231213...cougar-attack?

"...doesn't mean the cyclists did anything wrong. In fact, “They did
everything right,” Myers says. When the cougar initially started to
pursue the riders, they stopped, shouted at it, and swung their bikes in
the air to scare it..."

contrast with:
https://www.ammoland.com/2017/12/ia-...#axzz5HB4nMxoM

"It is legal to shoot mountain lions anywhere in the United States, in
self-defense."

They also say such attacks are exceptionally rare. I was mountain
biking in Whistler BC and there were postings everywhere warning about
bears. Usual recommendation was bear spray and to make noise but not
run from the bear. The main worry there was with a bear with cubs. The
only bears I saw were when I was on a ski lift going up Blackcombe. But
I did see traces on the trails. Slippery stuff.

BTW, I thought it was legal to shoot anything or anyone in the US in
self defense...