Old October 22nd 12, 12:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.running,sci.med.nutrition,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.fitness.misc
Julie Bove[_2_]

Default sport drink

John H. Gohde wrote:
On Oct 22, 2:08 am, "Julie Bove" wrote:
RichD wrote:
I want to mix my own sport drink. Looking at the ingredients
of Gatorade, it's not too appetizing.

I'm thinking, half water, half orange juice. Then, salt, but how
many teaspoons, or grams, per liter? It should match the
body's salinity.

Also potassium, to replenish what's lost in perspiration.
That's why long distance runners eat bananas, I believe.
Can you get potassium in powder form, and what dosage
in the drink?

Other minerals?

There are countless recipes online. Let me get you one. Actually
this link even has one for OJ:

http://sportsgirlsplay.com/recipes-f...sports-drinks/

Sports drinks are for stupid kiddies who think drinking that crap
makes them look cool. Come to think of it, ALL athletes are nothing
but a bunch of egotistical morons.

I wouldn't say "all" but I think quite a few would fall into that category.

I never let my daughter have Gatorade and I would always cringe when the Dr.
said that she needed it. Not all Drs. would say this but some were really
big on it. At least they did come out with G2. No high fructose corn syrup
in that. She currently drinks Propel but it is rare for her to finish a
bottle. She just takes it with her to dance classes. Mostly she drinks
water there. I think she thinks she needs it because most of the other kids
drink the stuff.