Old November 10th 03, 02:09 PM
bomba

Default Steel hardtail question

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:14:43 +0000, MTBScottie wrote:

I've been contemplating selling my hardtail and buying a higher end full
suspension frame this winter and building it up myself. I originally thought
that I wanted a 5 inch travel front and rear trail bike. I am, however, afraid
of loosing the excellent climbing ability and pin point handling of my
hardtail. My reason for wanting to try another full suspension bike is mostly
to ease the hits from the rear end while riding more techincal sections of
trail which abound here in PA.

I have read alot of your comments about how great steel hardtails are. Does a
steel frame offer better shock absorbtion? I was looking at either a Marin
Pine Mountain or a Kona Explosif if a steel frame may remedy some of the
harshness I feel on the aluminum framed bike.

Alu bikes can offer harsh rides, but you're unlikely to notice a huge
difference in the ride characteristics by switching to steel. Yes, it
takes a little buzz out of the trail, but it certainly doesn't offer shock
absorption (note spelling), and can't even be compared to rear suspension.

Titanium on the other hand...

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm