Old June 10th 16, 09:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

Default AG: Cleaning bottles

On Thu, 09 Jun 2016 23:44:05 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Tue, 24 May 2016 17:09:50 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Warm drink when you are all hot and sweaty
is not very palatable.

Last summer -- and again this summer if my arm heals, and it *finally*
appears to be doing so; I've gotten confident enough to print out a
map of Atwood -- I would insulate my left pannier with newspaper, and
carry my spare water chilled, frozen, and partly-frozen. (This also
cooled my lunch and any groceries I picked up along the way.)

When the bottles in the holders ran empty, I would pour about half a
cup into one of them from one of the spare bottles. This helped with
hydration because I was highly motivated to get it all down before it
got warm.

That is what I planned to do with the stainless "thermos" bottle but
it didn't work too well. Of course the thermos cost me 150 baht which
is about US$4.20 so perhaps it isn't really top quality.
Sunday I'll try freezing the thermos and see how that works.

By the way, they have made "insulated" bike bottles. I bought one and
yes, they are slightly more effective at keeping stuff cold than the
usual bottle but only very slightly.
--
cheers,

John B.