Old February 23rd 11, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Larry[_8_]

Default Anyone carry a folding tire?

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:29:55 -0600, Doc O'Leary
wrote:

In article ,
Joel wrote:

My question to all you commuters: do you carry a folding tire for cases
like this? They look a little pricier than normal tires, and I'm
wondering if this is overkill on my part or if that's something regular
commuters carry in a pannier.

It all depends on the daily conditions. If you're not even getting a
flat but once every 15 years, it doesn't seem worthwhile to bring a
whole new tire on every trip on the off chance you get a catastrophic
blowout.

Most people I know do carry a boot of some kind. Maybe a small strip of
tire from an old one, but having a length of duct tape will work as
well. If you have to improvise, a folded dollar bill is usually strong
enough to get the job done, too.

I tried the folded dollar bill as a boot once. It lasted for about 2
miles. I believe that there was some discussion on why dollar bills
dont really work well. IIRC, the tube and tire can squirm relative to
each other and that shreds a dollar bill very quickly. I remember my
dollar bill boots left a lot of shredded paper.

Larry
Larry
--
Be polite when e-mailing me. Rudeness will get you nowhere.