Old December 14th 04, 08:51 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:00:08 GMT,
wrote in message :

The whole idea is wacko with a tiller for a steerer and a chainwheel
off to one side, far enough to clear the wheel for small angles. This
is an aesthetic effort, real fast HPV's are fully faired and set world
records through a timed gate.

Up to a point, Lord Copper. I have seen (even raced in) HPV events
where there are several bikes with this kind of chain layout. Even
road-usable sporting recumbents tend to have the chain dropped off the
front idler for racing. Not all HPV racing is faired, there are
classes for unfaired, faired, "sports" (which have a minimum height
restriction).

This is neither a competition bicycle
for UCI approved events nor is it a fast HPV.

Not fast? With a moderately fit "engine" It would leave me behind
without too much difficulty, and probably you as well :-)

I expect to see bikes like this on tracks at BHPC meets. I think Mr
Larrington will be along any moment now...

I have some pictures from the Reading BHPC meet, and there is one
which seems relevant. Unfortunately it was taken with a very cheap
digital camera, so it's a poor picture, but here it is anyway:

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web/...s/Mike_Burrows

The bike at the top is the Ratracer B, which has a fore-and-aft front
fork, giving seriously limited steering travel. Look at the RatRacer
below, you'll see that the chain overlaps the front wheel there, too.