Old September 17th 10, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

Default Urge to yell at a cyclist

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
[...]
Worse, I recall earlier this summer driving on a narrow country lane.

In this case, we were heading west, and a lycra cyclist on a nice
looking bike was heading east on the proper side of the road. A
pickup truck was approaching the cyclist from his rear, and it was
clear we'd all be at the same place at the same time. I thought "That
guy needs to take his lane NOW."

He didn't. Instead, he rode off the pavement, continuing riding in

the grass at the side of the road, maybe a foot from the edge of the
pavement. That's where he was when the pickup truck squeezed between
us. If the cyclist had hit a bump in the grass, he could have been
flattened.

That cyclist did exactly the right thing. He needed to know what was coming
from behind as well as what was coming ahead. The he should have slowed down
and been prepared to take to the shoulder. You will live longer that way
than taking the lane.

We have a right to the road. We shouldn't risk our lives out of

timidity or slavish "politeness."

Every cyclist should be riding with a rear view mirror and be using it every
few seconds. A right to the road will not prevent you from being killed.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka