Old September 1st 05, 02:17 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default I'm really scared y'all are going to yell at me...

Paul Hobson wrote:
Ok, so I "finished" the old Peugeot to fixie convert today. Truth be
told, I need a shorter bottom bracket spindle, but that'll come later
(after my next paycheck).

So, to adjust the chainline to pretty darn good, I used spacers with the
chainwheel on the inside of the spider. All in all, the chainline was
off by about 2 mm (I know...I know). I used old stack bolts from my
BMX bike, and they seemed to work fairly well. I had to turn them
around since the female end didn't fit through the spacers
(shoddier...it just gets shoddier).

Then, I'm taking it out on a test run to the center of campus and I'm
spinning pretty fast down a decent hill. PING! Two of the stack bolts
fly off. scary scary scary. I slam on my front brake (my buddy, from
now on) and sure enough...they're gone.

My theory is this: I didn't tighten them enough and with the spacers,
they really couldn't thread enough. Will normal new short stack bolts
be long enough to deal with the spacers that I need for now??? Should I
get double chainring stack bolts and put more spacers on until I get the
new BB spindle???

thanks already...I'm still recovering from seeing my life before my eyes.

Get track chainring bolts, mount the single ring onto the inside of the
crank.