Old September 2nd 05, 12:02 AM
Paul Hobson

Default I'm really scared y'all are going to yell at me...

Luke wrote:
In article , Paul Hobson
wrote:

The chainring is on the inside already, and had spacers pushing it more
towards the inside. I'm really considering calling up Harris right now
and getting a new BB spindle.

\\paul

Paul, I caution against haste. The spindle length you require to ensure
a proper chainline (sans spacers) with your current setup may be less
than that which your crankset will accept: your square taper crank may
but up against the BB's mounting ring, precluding a proper press fit.
Of course, this is contingent on the specs of the crankset, so exercise
due diligence beforehand and determine if this constraint applies in
your case -- doing so will spare you future headaches.

My favourite - and cheap! - cranks for fixie conversions? Old Shimano
RSX Dual chainring cranksets. I've installed them on spindle's as short
as 103mm.

Luke

Luke...thanks for the cautions. I'm really excited about this and I get
quite easily carried away. Currently I've a Stronglight 120 mm spindle
in the BB. I turned it around and put 3 mm spacers in there today (had
1.5 mm yesterday. I'd say the chainline is much better (1 mm off?). The
shop had much more spacers, so I feel that 4 would get a very nice
chainline.

The problem I'm now having is getting a proper and uniform chain tension
around the entire 6.2832 radian path. I'm thinking I need to drive
over to the rich old uncle's house and use his stand so that I can spine
the cranks/wheel and keep the bike upright.

\\paul

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology