Old November 15th 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default Chain wear and cassette question

On 2018-11-14 19:18, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:08:05 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

Above there isn't enough space for a
decent size bottle, 28oz and such.

??Â* Twenty-ounce bottles do me fine.Â* Of course, I carry two of them.

I used to carry extra water in my cooler, but I can no longer ride so
far that there are no drinking fountains around.Â* Been a while since I
re-filled both bottles at once, but the steroids are working now, so I
might go that far before the roads get slick.

Many of my rides are about 40mi at a pretty good clip (for my age ...)
and in the hot summers here that either requires carrying around a
gallon or detouring to get to sports fields or churches with a drinking
fountain. I find it more efficient to carry the water. Road bike trips
can be done with much under a gallon but not MTB trips and some of those
have zero re-fill opportunities.

What makes you think MTB trips require more water than road bike trips?

The other reason for carrying excess is other riders and most of all
hikers who mis-planned. Or who didn't plan at all.

That's just ridiculous.