Old December 19th 03, 06:49 PM
Ric

Default rewelding aluminium frame - Mercedes bike

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message
Ric wrote:
I have a Mercedes bike and the top tube has cracked just near the weld

the headstock. Despite the bike being just two years old and having done

on
ly 2200km, Mercedes are undecided whether to repair this under guaranty.
They have not ruled out a warranty repair completely, but it is is

currently
being deliberated at a higher level. In the meantime I am thinking it

may be
easier just to get the frame rewelded. Is this a complete waste of time?
Might it be worth getting fillets welded in to support the new weld?

As they said on r.b.t, yes it is a waste of time.

But how long will it last? Given that aluminium frames don't last forever
anyway, is rewelding not a viable option? I only do 2000km or so per year on
this particular bike, so if it lasts a year between rewelding it will be
worthwhile.