Old December 19th 03, 08:35 PM
Simon Brooke

Default rewelding aluminium frame - Mercedes bike

"Tony Raven" writes:

Ric wrote:

As they said on r.b.t, yes it is a waste of time.

But how long will it last? Given that aluminium frames don't last forever

Aluminium frames may not last forever, but Cannondales (for example)
are guranteed for the lifetime of the original purchasor, so someone
at Cannondale is pretty confident they're good for at least fifty
years; which is as near 'forever' as I'm interested in.

anyway, is rewelding not a viable option? I only do 2000km or so
per year on this particular bike, so if it lasts a year between
rewelding it will be worthwhile.

Not worth the bother as he said. You need to know the type of
alloy, give it the proper heat treat cycle, source the same alloy if
you want to add strengthening plates etc etc

You could just weld and not heat treat it but I wouldn't ride such a frame -
you'd never know when it was going to fail on you

Accept it - if they won't replace it, scrap it and get a new frame. Sorry

And, for heaven's sake, get one from a reputable manufacturer - not a
car-maker's advertising department.

;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.