Old April 22nd 11, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
(PeteCresswell)

Default Red light cameras?

Per Frank Krygowski:
Who's in favor of red light cameras? Who's against?

Do you think a cycling organization should come out in favor of them?

I'm against - based on reports of the accountants taking over and
setting up revenue-enhancement situations where normal drivers
wind up running red lights.

If somebody wants to take a technological approach, I'd like to
see some money spent on timing traffic lights - so somebody, for
instance, doesn't hit 5 out of 7 red lights going the speed limit
while people going 15-20 mph over the limit make all green
lights.

Untimed lights (or, more correctly, lights accidentally timed for
speeds way in excess of the limit) are the rule rather than the
exception around here. (Chester County Penna - USA).

Philadelphia has been able to time the lights on Roosevelt
Boulevard for 30+ years. Atlantic City was doing it back in the
fifties.... so it's not like it's an insurmountable challenge.

--
PeteCresswell