Old May 14th 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default so you want to be a pro?

"Scott" wrote in message
I'm always amazed by the folks who plug away their entire 20's,
chasing that elusive pro contract, thinking that if they just get that
one opportunity they'll make it big. All they need is someone to
notice them and it's on like donkey kong. The sad thing is, most of
those in this situation must be delusional, as it's not a case of not
being noticed, it's probably a case of just not having the talent (are
you reading this, Mike?).

Here's a case of what happens when you actually have the goods:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...-clercq_172960

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Ah yes, living the $12k dream. :-)

I was actually discussing this last night with my (18 year old) son. Joking
that there's still time; if he wanted to dedicate his life to it, he could
become a successful bike racer (his epilepsy being just a minor thing
standing in the way). And I brought up the $12k dream, making sure he
understood the difference between the local pros and what he sees in the
TdF. I'll see if he wants to read Kimmage's book, "Rough Ride."

Too many Mikes around here! This one never doped when racing. :-)

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA