Old December 22nd 04, 09:56 PM
Andrew Webster

Steven M. Scharf wrote:
Pete Biggs wrote:

An LED lamp would be more useful if battery power is limited as they are

much more effecient.

They are much less efficient in terms of the power required to produce
an identical beam.

See

http://nordicgroup.us/s78/wattslumens.html

Where data is presented to show that LEDs can be more efficient than
incandescent lamps (though perhaps not by as much as some might think).

In practice I have changed from a 6W halogen bulb to a 1W Everled
replacement bulb. With the same 5xAA NiMH power source I am now getting
about 6 hours run time instead of 1.5 hours, the same or better
illumination.

Bike lights will always be a compromise between power, weight and
run-time. LEDs can certainly help increase run-time.

As ever, a bright light is one thing, but getting the light in the right
place is another. It is a much discussed point that mounting lights in
a sensible place and using an appropriate beam can make much better use
of the light available.

Andrew Webster