Old July 31st 05, 03:55 PM
Sandy

Dans le message de
oups.com,
a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré
:

Another thing I didn't like is the riders=Robocop cliche.
I gather this is popular among Armstrong-haters in France

No defense of France here, but I think you (and lots of others) may be
concocting your own vision of what the French think. On TV, FR2, for
example, he is the focus of enormous enthusiasm, idolatry, admiration and
respect, as a cyclist. Recently, the slightly "hot" version of Armstrong -
the Sheryl Crow stuff - makes him even more enviable and popular.

What I have written, what some (not all) French feel, is that broad scale
racing has suffered from the overwhelming focus on a single event. It's not
just Armstrong's monomania that nettles. It's the market domination and
dilution that accompanies it. I mentioned that if the World Series
(baseball) were like the Pro Tour and the TdF, no one would have to win
regularly, just show up for the round-robin final by invitation. And a
little like golf, where course management is all that counts towards the
final score.

The only race Armstrong won, of 20 in this year's tour, was one time trial,
and nothing in line. He is a masterful rider, and those who want to chant
"Drugs, drugs, drugs" seem more envious than critical. He wanted only one
prize, he did all possible to achieve it, and did it 7 times. Criticism is
not exclusively French in character, although I think Europeans are more
sanguine about doping.

Armstrong says he has finished. The next tour is eleven months away. I
sure hope other subjects manage to attract attention. This forum could
cavitate from the absence of both in the interim, and it would not be all
that bad.
--
Bonne route !

Sandy