Old December 19th 03, 02:25 AM
Slacker

Default Specialized disc brake recall

Gman wrote:
This seems to lend credence (at least to me) to
the argument about discs being able to rip the
front wheel out of the forks.

6", 8", whatever, there is obviously a BUNCH of
pressure on the mounting points for the brakes and
the wheel. Maybe with the "lawyer lips" and a
tight skewer, the weak point is now the disc
mount, and without lips the wheel tends to come
out first??? Tough to say, but a little scary
nonetheless.

8" rotors with a QR is never a good idea. Few, if any, forks tabs are able
to withstand that much torque for very long.

This is only thing stopping me from slapping on a 8" on my Z1, but my next
fork will be a 20mm. IMHO, QR's have seen their day regarding disc brakes,
6" or 8"; just a matter of time.
--
Slacker