Old September 15th 18, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Bus bike rack too short, how to strap in a bike quickly? [update]

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 14:54:05 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-09-13 18:03, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

... They work for odd shaped bikes around he
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/93/248...3cdf194b2f.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rying_bike.jpg

My road bike measures 39-1/2" axle to axle. That is not outlandishly
large and should fit. But it did not.

This sounds more and more like an operator problem.

If the bike doesn't go in then it doesn't go in. It's that simple.

At the first time the bus driver (himself a cyclist) came out and
tried, then scratching his head what we could do.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I'd like to see an image of the ACTUAL bus rack your road bike won't
fit into. Me long wheelbase 1980's MTB fits in our bus racks without
any problems at all and the wheelbase on that MTB is longer than most
modern 26" wheels MTBs. I just can't imagine why you can't get even a
1980's road bike into your bus rack.

It's not that easy. First, they seem to have a plethora of racks, some
partially good, some bad, and you never know which one comes. Then the
bus is on a hot schedule and loops, no end points, so I'd need to have a
buddy to take a pic, fast. And carry a camera because my phone doesn't
have one.

Look at the link Jay pointed out, that shows the problem. Even a regular
26" bike started to ride up on the slot ends. See at 0:33min, front
wheel rides up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETtnX_KScI8

The rack of that bus is of poor design and that's exactly what I
encountered except a road bike naturally has larger wheels which makes
it worse. With my MTB one wheel was almost completely out of the slot.
Now an Arno strap can "fix" that but a bus driver might (understandably)
refuse.

Yet, as your reference states, some 12,000,000 bikes are transported
in their racks daily... but you can't get your bike to fit.
--
Cheers

John B.