Old May 15th 05, 12:52 PM
None

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
My wife and I went for a walk this afternoon. The sidewalk was very
narrow - only wide enough for my wife and I to walk side by side. As
we walked, our son (who is away at college) called, so she took the
call and was talking to him, not really paying attention to what was
ahead. Presently, an older gentleman riding a bicycle approached from
ahead of us. When he saw that my wife wasn't paying attention (and
thus was not going to step aside to let him ride past) he came to a
stop, then stood there glaring at us. As we passed by, he very
petulantly began to ring his little thumb-bell repeatedly, as if to
express his outrage that we didn't get out of his way. I turned to him
and said "use the bike lane, ****head." Then we walked on, shaking our
heads in disbelief.

Why do supposedly mature adults think it's OK to ride their bikes on
the sidewalk? Here's another couple we saw today on our walk:

http://tinypic.com/539poy

There's a perfectly good bike lane (or shoulder, as Brent likes to
call them) not five feet from these lard-asses, yet they feel the need
to endanger pedestrians on the sidewalk. Why?!?!?!?

People like these give good, courteous, law-abiding pedalcyclists a
bad name.

I know I'm feeding the troll but here goes. In Pennsylvania a bicycle
is considered a vehicle and as such is required to obey the same laws,
ie DON'T RIDE ON THE SIDEWALK. That being said, I have been stopped by
local township police and told to ride on the bike path (which is for
pedestrians and bicycles). Note: I ride a Bianchi Alfana with American
Classic Hubs, Nisi Laser rims, and Time peddles, not your average
'cycle. I (we) politely informed him that in the view of safety we
would stick to the road where we belong.

Back to the troll, calling someone a '**** head' is rude and uncalled
for even if he just rode over your foot. People like this give good
courteous law-abiding pedestrians a bad name.