Old April 12th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default Beware Passing the Parked Car, Bicycle Reminder.

In article ,
Michael Press writes:

I suppose some sort of stylized bear could do for a Swiss
trade symbol. On the other hand, with the world's economies
faring as they are, maybe that's not such a good idea.
I guess that just leaves skis, perforated cheese or The
Matterhorn -- all of which is preferable to Canada's lame
maple leaf and aquatic rodent.

I like the maple leaf.

Back in the day it took a Maple Leaf (Dave Keon) to
bring Jean Belliveau down a peg. But I respect 'em
both as all-time Hockey greats.

I like maple trees.

"There unrest in the forest, there is
trouble with the trees ..."

I like maple wood.

The body of my custom-made solid-body guitar
is bird's-eye maple, and the 3-piece neck is
embroidered with tiger-stripe maple.

I like maple seeds in the spring.

It has been my experience that those helicopter things
drop at back-to-school time, in the late spring/early fall.
My route to school was lined on the boulevards with Eastern
maple trees planted by a Great War vet who planted them to
commemorate the fallen. Talk about nostalgia! I recall
that route to school, and regularly encountering this old coot
on the sidewalk with a barrowful of doughnuts for sale; a
paraffinized canvas tarp covered his wares from the weather.
I never had the nickel with which to buy a doughnut, just tokens
for weak-knee'd soup & cocoa in the school lunch room. I think
the old coot was also a Great War vet, 'cuz he never said anything,
nor spoke with anyone.

Maple trees are great.

Douglas firs are ~great~. Maple trees are nice.

Did I mention that I like maple syrup?

Didn't Gordon Lightbulb do a song about that stuff?

Anyways, Canadians "get" the import of maple trees,
but I doubt the rest of the world does.

I bet Australia doesn't use the eucalpytus leaf
as an international trade symbol.

cheers,
Tom

--