Old June 27th 03, 05:19 PM
Joshua Goldberg

Default Prone Recumbent?

One of the key selling points for recumbents has been the safety feature,
in an accident your feet and legs get hammered long before your head
does...bent pilots tend to survive crashes whereas DF pilots do not.
To ride bent with your head/chest above your front wheel and guess what
slams the back of the Bus 1st and I would not want to visualize what it
would look like to drop the bent on its' side in a fast turn.
I Just cannot see Bent Luge riding catching on.
"Warren Berger" wrote in message
om...
Mark,

No, a prone recumbent is not a contradiction in terms. Recumbent
means lying down. Prone refers to lying on your stomach, supine
refers to lying on your back.

Prone recumbents were first patented in the 1800's. Many have been
built in the last 125 years. A few good examples are shown at:

http://www.geocities.com/rcgilmore3/prone.htm

I actually rode a homebuilt, made from a BMX bike about ten years ago.
A local bike dreamer, like myself had put it together. It was great
fun. I felt like Superman!

Back in the 1980's a prone streamliner was raced quite successfully in
HPV races.

Warren