Old March 24th 18, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Nice article on naturally bike-friendly towns

On 2018-03-23 11:53, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

... the weather is generally O.K. and that it is not
"dangerous."

Correct. Most will not ride on busy thoroughfares and most won't
ride in the rain or when it's too cold or hot.

... Dangerous can be other bicycles according to one fit woman I
know.

That I haven't heard, ever. It's just that some of the faster
riders object to having to slow down so much before passing. Like
people not wanting to head out for a road trip in their car when
everyone else does.

... She's afraid of other bicyclists in the crowded facilities.
https://bikeportland.org/2011/06/22/...r-photos-55300

BTW, the "other" category is simply never-will-ride people making
excuses like busy schedules and general impossibility. Those
folks will never ride.

Just removing danger -- like building a separated facility --
will bring out some additional riders, but if it is not flat or
close-in, it will probably just collect those people who are
already riding and are willing to make a real effort. A hilly
bike path will attract the young but somewhat timid and the
spin-class heros who have big engines but don't know how to
handle themselves on the roads. It's not going to get granny on
her bike -- at least not on a regular basis.

It is going to get a lot of people onto bikes, see Manhattan and
umpteen other examples. However, many of those will be people who
are not foreign to riding but generally don't ride (anymore). The
proverbial garage queen owners.

I have convinced some to start riding again after showing them
bike paths and singletrack. They simply will not ride on busy
roads. That's just how it is. If there is a bike path they truck
their bikes there, if there isn't then they don't ride and their
bikes remain garage queens.

I'm not talking about people trucking their bikes to trail heads to
go for a fun-ride.

That does have serious health benefits. People will truck their bikes as
long as there are no routes to the trails that they perceive as safe.

I am also talking about people riding to an evening in town instead of
taking a cab, Uber or Lyft. That is what happened in Manhattan and also
here in Folsom. It reduces vehicle mileage. It does not matter whether
it's their own motor vehicle or someone else's, pollution is pollution.

... We're talking about transportation facilities
that promote bicycling in lieu of driving. NYC is dead flat ...

It was clearly not flat after putting in the bike infrastructure, as
evidenced. Naturally, any benefit will eventually plateau if either no
more bike paths are built or nearly all people willing to cycle use
their bicycles. In America that's never going to be a large percentage,
as has been evidenced by your elevator talks.

... and
putting in facilities undoubtedly got some people on to bikes,
although the facilities can be overrun by walkers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehh8ZdIMMj4 They still beat walking
or driving, particularly on Manhattan.

In NYC it's the same in a motor vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8WiJgI3N4A

A typical sign of a space crammed too full of people and one of them
many reasons I will never live in a large city. Beither will my wife and
she grew up in a huge metropolis.

I can't sing like the guy in the video but I have a few train horn
tracks on my MP3 player. Does the job, gently. Once I couldn't resist.
Two girls were walking on singletrack at a section next to old railroad
tracks. One of them walked on a rail so they could talk. I rode up very
quietly and then turned on the MP3 track with the big Union Pacific
locomotive sound, including horn. There hasn't been a large train since
the 80's but the reaction was priceless.

In some neighborhoods of PDX, the bike mode-share is 25%, and the
facilities in those areas are relatively minimal. What brings out the
riders is: (1) flat, (2) compact, close in neighborhood, and (3)
Bohemian population. Far more riders were created by the culture in
PDX than the facilities. On some streets, there are zero facilities,
and the cyclists just take over -- which is really frustrating if
you're in a car. When I ride in the lane, I at least try to keep my
speed up. Many dawdle with their eight-ball helmets and ringy-bells.

Once you have a large enough number of cyclists that works. If you start
with a very low number cycling never gets started. For example, I
regularly cycle through this underpass and then with the lights on full
bore and at max speed. Even very seasoned local cyclists refuse to do
that. Except for one of them they all took the "chicken exit", riding
slowly on the side walk. Of course that is technically illegal but also
a major hassle when coming from the other side as there is only a
sidewalk on one side. Just one example of many.

Sorry, forgot the link:

https://goo.gl/maps/avgYWtt9f4C2

--
Regards, Joerg