Old November 1st 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

Default Help! Stuck Schlumpf Shifter Button

GizmoDuck;1122694 wrote:

Now I have no idea how much 50Nm is. That's what was scribbled on the
Schlumpf manual. I have no idea who wrote it in there. It's either
Florian or the UDC boys.

I tried Spencers double nut technique today. The shaft takes 5mm nuts.
Unfortunately it didn't work.

What didn't work about it? Were you able to get a solid grip on the
two nuts to tighten them against each other? Once they're tight, you
should be able to use a socket to hold the shaft.

How did you damage the thread? Were you trying to grip it with pliers
or something?

Also, as has been pointed out, 50Nm is the torque needed for the crank
bolts. This equates to pushing really really hard on a socket T-bar
(not a ratchet - you'll destroy it) and giving it as much welly as you
can. The manual for the new KH hub doesn't specify the torque needed
for the grub screw, but the original road hub needed 1.1Nm - or about
finger tight plus 1/4 turn for good measure.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey