Old October 19th 04, 09:52 PM
Badger_South

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:10:56 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

Badger_South wrote:
:: I'm wondering if there are any good tips out there for keeping
:: cadence high going up moderate hills. I find I really have to hum a
:: tune, or count reps when the going gets tough and I start to sink
:: below 65 or 70 (or lower).

why not just look at your cadence computer?

::
:: I count to 50 and then try and take a deep sigh (more or less
:: forceful breathe out), and think 'sink/get centered', then do it
:: again.

you count while riding? that must be painful. someone might run into you
while you're concentrating on counting reps.

Ok, Mr Advanced Rider, lol. I'm talking about keeping up cadence on
sections where you're breathing quite forcefully and about to rep out in
38x15 at 55rpm, seated. Don't you ride near current max sections where
you're about to see stars until you reach the flats or more gentle slope?

I realize we just discussed this here, in relation to energy
:: conservation, but we still see low cadence riding a lot in the pros
:: during climbs. I'm thinking maybe it's something that's just very
:: hard to change once you've developed your riding, and climbing style.

Bad habits are hard to change....

It's not so much that it's a habit, but perhaps similar to
changing/improving something fundamental in your form, such as stride
length in jogging. (something that may not even be adviseable).

IOW, it seems like -such- a good idea, yet are many pros trying to train
that way? If not, why not?

-B