Old June 8th 06, 09:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Generic Brakes vs Dura-Ace 7700 brakes ?

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
RS wrote:
I have a Giant OCR1 road bike that came with generic brakes, probably
Tectro (?). Being used to V-brakes on my beater bike, I thought the
Giant generic brakes were lousy. I put Kook-Stop black pads on them
and they do work noticeably better. But I like having very good and
controllable stopping power. I can get a used but very clean set of
DuraAce 7700 brakes for $70. Will they work noticeabley better?
Weight is not a concern as there is probably very little difference.

thanks to all

No. Your cables and housing are likely in need of lube, replacement, or
both.

--
Phil

Not doubting your advice, but all I read about the tektro was that they
are rather mushy.

But indeed, start with good cabling... you can allways decide to
upgrade afterwards.