Old February 3rd 19, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Why are pavements not gritted?

On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 10:15:08 -0800 (PST)
Simon Jester wrote:

Serious question.

Pedestrians pay the same Council Tax as motorists yet footways are
not gritted. Why?

Because pedestrians don't lose control, slide across the road and kill
people?

I dropped my car off for it's annual service/MOT on
Friday and walked to the station. I walked in the road because the
pavement was icy and at least 10 'law abiding' divers tried to murder
me. I was not in their way but they seemed to think deliberately
aiming 1.5 tonnes of metal at someone is acceptable behaviour.

As we all know there is a general feeling among motorists that the road
is just for cars and everyone else should get out of the way, be they
cyclist, pedestrian or equestrian. I'm not sure if they don't
understand the law or simply prefer to ignore it, but when it comes to
people generally I'm inclined to suspect stupidity and ignorance, with
only a sprinkling of malice.
On a brighter note, the other day I saw an Audi go right to the other
side of the road to pass a cyclist. :-)