Old February 4th 19, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Why are pavements not gritted?

On 03/02/2019 16:02, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 10:57:58 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 02/02/2019 18:15, Simon Jester wrote:

Serious question.

Pedestrians pay the same Council Tax as motorists yet footways
are not gritted. Why? I dropped my car off for it's annual
service/MOT on Friday and walked to the station. I walked in the
road because the pavement was icy and at least 10 'law abiding'
divers tried to murder me. I was not in their way but they seemed
to think deliberately aiming 1.5 tonnes of metal at someone is
acceptable behaviour.

Probably people that have just bought winter tyres and they
believe they allow them to drive normally.

That does not make any sense. I was asking why councils do not grit
footways. Pedestrians are the most important road users. And why
motorists get so outraged when they see a pedestrian in the
carriageway they feel entitled to use their vehicle as a weapon.

I wasn't trying to answer your question about gritting. The bit about
winter tyres was following up to your observation about some drivers.

What I was trying to say about winter tyres is that the tyre industry is
currently busy trying to flog them. They do appear to offer better
traction in snow and are probably an insurance for people in essential
services (once the jack-knifed lorries have been cleared and everybody
else has decided to stay at home). But there are likely to be a lot of
"enthusiasts", that only have 2 days a year to go out to play to justify
the outlay. If you are in the way it will annoy them.