Old December 1st 17, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default The world's safest bike!

On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 3:06:25 PM UTC, Ralph Barone wrote:
Since the group needs some fresh meat to chew on...

http://veliso.bike

Looks like an April Fool's joke, like Jay says. But I think these people are serious.

You can forget about explaining to people so paranoid and humorless about the difference between passive and active safety.

There's an additional concept that's important here, differential speed and space as observed from a bicycle and from the driving seat of an automobile. Practically, I expect this bike's warning bells to start sounding after the bicyclist is already down and in need of an ambulance. In short, useless features. I cannot see the warnings sounding in good enough time for the cyclist to assess the situation and take evasive action.

In addition, one feature that is useful on cars, differential braking on all wheels, on a two-wheel vehicle is dangerous because, as Jobst pointed out many times (and each time got nothing but grief from the usual morons), on a bicycle after you lose the front wheel, there is nothing more you can you except pray. (Well, I added the "except pray" bit for dramatic emphasis.)

Andre Jute
I love tech. Except when it is stupid.