Old December 6th 18, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default What kind of pump am I supposed to use on this bike?

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 3:01:54 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/5/2018 4:54 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 2:12:22 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/5/2018 3:57 PM, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 05 Dec 2018 15:15:50 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 12/5/2018 1:38 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 12:52:54 PM UTC-5, Mark J. wrote:
On 12/5/2018 9:22 AM,
wrote:

The HPX was great. Too bad they ceased production.

Huh? I thought I saw a newly-stocked one in my LBS just last week..
Did you mean the \mountain\ version was discontinued?

Mark J.

I bought several of them off of the Internet but they mostly were worn
out. The French used a lot of natural rubber which rots.

It's still on the Zefal website.

http://www.zefal.com/en/traditional-pumps/32-hpx.html

And what a weird retronym, to now call it a "traditional" pump.

I call it a pump.

Well, it is. It works the same way as most hand bicycle pumps I have,
from the brass to the plastic to the aluminium of the HPX.
You with draw the rod and the washer "shrinks" to allow air into the
resulting vacum and when you depress the rod, the plunger expands and
drives air out the connector. The only difference is the material of
construction; brass and wood, all plastic, and aluminium and plastic.

The only oddity is the plastic "fingers' on the HPX to have one end mate
to a part of the frame. The Zefal MTN bike pump is just a fatter, shorter
version of the old brass pump.

Well, yes, but in fairness the distinguishing feature of HPX
is a very functional simple method to compress the valve
seal tightly by throwing the lever. The flip side of that is
simple, easy release (the lack of which riders bitch about
with certain other pumps).

Ingeniously, the head disassembles easily with fingers,
another positive design feature IMHO.

Not to discount your note on ZĂ©fal wings, the first
replaceable nylon frame interface, but that wasn't all HPX
brought to us.

It was really irritating after I got that Zefal floor pump from you and they changed the pump head to a push on rather than a slip on with a lock. That sliding brass head that I had on my original. It doesn't work well at all. If you have a threadless presta valve it slips right off and if you have a threaded presta valve it tears the seal out of the pump head pretty rapidly.

The pump we sent you was a Silca Super Pista
http://www.yellowjersey.org/silfloor.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Yes, and it works very well, but their redesign of the pump head wasn't very good.