View Single Post
Old December 7th 18, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default A few months waxing chain

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 5:48:28 PM UTC, wrote:

I bought the can of special wax for lubing bicycle chains. I was always careful to use it in the proper manner and I did not get good results in terms of wear. Though it sure did give me a nice quiet chain for awhile.

What I liked about White Lightning, which I used for several years (and there is still some in the bottle!), was that it was applied cold, got the chain sparkling clean, and you could brush its detritus (little balls of now greyish wax) out of the chaincase (not off the chain which one never touched) without getting your hands dirty. Five minutes and you were done. But it had to be applied at least every 500km, and more frequently if the chain got wet from crossing streams or ditches. Also, I really doubt whether without heat it really penetrated into the gubbins of the chain, where Sheldon said it was most required, because all my bikes, regardless of the Dutch style chain cases I used then (in my pre-Hebie Chainglider incarnation), absolutely ate chains at the rate of 1000m per chain.

Andre Jute
Manual laborer -- a writer operates a keyboard with his hands
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home