Old March 10th 14, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Andrew Chaplin

Default Once a railway, soon to be a bike trail

wrote in
:

snip
So let's be sure to recognize these as recreational trails and not
"bike paths" so that there aren't any squabbles about cyclists scaring
the bejabers out of other trail users.

Around here (Ottawa, Ont.) they are "multi-use paths," as many are used by
commuters. I use them both to commute and for recreation, and the
unconsciousness of the people on foot is a constant problem.

"When I were a lad" some 50 years ago, Ontario had suburbs springing up all
over the show that had no sidewalks. There were regular public service
announcements to the effect of "where there are no sidewalks, walk on the
left facing traffic." I intend to write to our city council's transit
commission to suggest that they apply the same logic to the multi-use paths
and that they mount a similar campaign, even if it is no more sophisticated
than signage where pedestrians enter the paths.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO