Old April 1st 14, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Once a railway, soon to be a bike trail

On Monday, March 10, 2014 3:36:13 PM UTC-7, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
wrote in

:

snip

So let's be sure to recognize these as recreational trails and not

"bike paths" so that there aren't any squabbles about cyclists scaring

the bejabers out of other trail users.

Around here (Ottawa, Ont.) they are "multi-use paths," as many are used by

commuters. I use them both to commute and for recreation, and the

unconsciousness of the people on foot is a constant problem.

"When I were a lad" some 50 years ago, Ontario had suburbs springing up all

over the show that had no sidewalks. There were regular public service

announcements to the effect of "where there are no sidewalks, walk on the

left facing traffic." I intend to write to our city council's transit

commission to suggest that they apply the same logic to the multi-use paths

and that they mount a similar campaign, even if it is no more sophisticated

than signage where pedestrians enter the paths.

--

Andrew Chaplin

SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Because there's no way to ride at a normal rate of speed on these rails-to-trails sport riders do not like them and generally avoid them unless they are a short cut to somewhere.

However they DO have lots of beginners and children riding on them and walkers screaming at them while at the same time not paying the slightest attention to whatever else may be on that trail.

While they're fine for what they are you find that car drivers complaining that bicycles are on "their" streets when they have their own "bicycle path".