Old September 17th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Front bike rack on buses, heavy bikes

On 2017-09-17 08:26, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 10:54:10 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Thinking about doing rides farther away without carting the bike
there in my car. Or riding out farther and using a bus for some of
the way back. Buses out here have racks for two bikes up front,
like this:

http://www.sacbike.dreamhosters.com/...us_No_2395.jpg

Unfortunately the top-holding bar goes over the front wheel where the
emergency dynamo is on my road bike instead of over the seat. Ok, I
can remove that dynamo. However, both my road bike and my MTB are
"rear-heavy" with panniers that contain lots of water, tools and
such. Are they still safe in those racks?

The other question is, El Dorado Transit and others state to
"remove panniers and other baggage to allow safe operation of the
bus". My panniers look detachable but they are not, there is a lot
of stuff underneath that bolts and cinches them in place.

What's your experience?

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

You're most lkely SOL with nom-removable panniers. I don't know of
any bus transit that allows panniers to be left on the bicycle.
Another thing to consider (if they did allow the loaded panniers to
stay on the bike)is the potential for damage to your wheels as the
bike moves sideways with those heavily loaded panniers whilst the
bicycle wheels move side to side a bit when the bus isin motion. YMMV
and probably does.

Thanks. That means I'll have to keep using my car :-(

One of those trips would be next week. There is a nice "race track
style" bike path along a canal where you can really put the coals on and
the last bus stop is only a few miles from where it starts.

BTW, since some of the bus routes hereabouts goes onto a 60mph
highway, I use an Arno strap to help secure the bike to the bus front
rack. I know that even a hard bump won't cause the bike to leave the
rack if the front wheel hook on the bus rack were to fail.

Good idea. I've got some of those but if they don't allow panniers I
can't use the bus. The bus does take a route along a 65mph highway.

I could call them about my fixed panniers but in the end this is all at
the discretion of the driver. If he or she says no it's no and then I'd
get stuck.