Old December 5th 18, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default A few months waxing chain

On 12/5/2018 6:03 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 9:42:30 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/5/2018 10:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/4/2018 9:42 PM, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 14:48:25 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 3:33:15 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

fantasy ~ nounĀ* ~ Imagination unrestricted by reality.

cheers,

John B.

Or perhaps he's either simply trolling or arguing for the sake of
arguing?

Cheers

Over the years I have spent many hours cleaning that wax residue off
cogs and rings. I have disassembled and scrapped and finally used
acetone to clean off the remainder until changing to Rock and Roll.
Now no residue. But apparently you sat here with me and showed me
that there was no such thing.

Tom, I have to believe that you either don't know what you are talking
about or simply a liar.

I believe Tom. No reason to doubt his description.

I've seen waxed chain systems as Frank describes, shiny and neat but
I've also seen gear trains more encrusted with wax than the floor under
The Virgin Mary's niche.

And as I said in a slightly different context:

My method is unusual. I don't remove the chain and soak it in a hot pot
of molten wax. Instead, while my chain is still on my bike, I use a
low-flame propane torch to warm the chain about 15 links at a time,
apply the wax/oil cake like using a crayon, then reheat those links
until I see the wax flow into the chain bits. I then backpedal and repeat.

Here's the pertinent part: When the entire chain's done but still warm,
I backpedal the chain while gripping it with a handful of paper towels.
I think that gets a lot of excess external wax off the chain. Maybe
othes who do the hot wax soak have too much wax caked on their chain? I
don't know.

(BTW, this on-the-bike method was my own brainstorm. But years later, I
learned that another local guy had come up with the same trick. He was
the owner of a respected LBS and a super-competent rider.)

Riders use more or less or much more of various waxy things. 'Wax' is
not a standard thing at all.

True. And it's a wonder that the tiny congregation of chain waxers is
not (yet?) suffering the same religious splintering as the liquid
lubrication church.

("You use motor oil? YOU HEATHEN YOU!!!")

--
- Frank Krygowski

Well, I remove the chain and making sure it's clean I put it in the oven to preheat it. In the meantime I have my can of chainwax in a double boiler melting. When the chain is warm enough that you need oven mitts to hold it, I loop it through the melted wax. But there is a whole lot of excess wax on the chain that is pushed off after reattaching it to the bike and when you backpedal it, it leaves a pile of wax under the rings and cogs. This can was supplied by Park Tool and the directions with it.

How do you get wax with any volume of lubricant in It to form anything resembling a hard wax crayon?

I made my last batch well over 10 years ago, so memory is imprecise; but
I melted the wax, then poured in some oil. (I don't remember if it was
motor oil or gear lube - I suspect the latter.) I didn't measure
anything, I just poured and thought "that ought to be enough." I suppose
I stirred it a bit, then let it cool.

I didn't know it was supposed to be difficult, so I just did it without
too much thinking.

--
- Frank Krygowski