Old December 6th 18, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default A few months waxing chain

On 6/12/18 10:03 am, wrote:

Well, I remove the chain and making sure it's clean I put it in the
oven to preheat it. In the meantime I have my can of chainwax in a
double boiler melting. When the chain is warm enough that you need
oven mitts to hold it, I loop it through the melted wax. But there is
a whole lot of excess wax on the chain that is pushed off after
reattaching it to the bike and when you backpedal it, it leaves a
pile of wax under the rings and cogs. This can was supplied by Park
Tool and the directions with it.

I put the cold chain in a pot with the cold wax, then heat the whole lot
up until there is no more solid wax, and then leave it a bit longer.
When I lift the chain out, most of the excess lubricant drips off, and I
pull the chain through an old piece of rag to remove excess from the
outside of the chain before reinstalling it.

How do you get wax with any volume of lubricant in It to form
anything resembling a hard wax crayon?

My pot of wax is almost soft at about 40C I guess. It has about 50/50
wax and oil (80w 90 EP gear oil).

--
JS