Old August 31st 19, 07:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Default 28 mph e-bikes

Frank Krygowski wrote:
To me, this seems nuts - 28 miles per hour on park paths?

(Yahoo site won't work without cookies, so IFTFY
https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2019-08-30/national-parks-electric-bikes

It's been pointed out that until now, if you could ride 28 mph, you had probably
spent lots of time riding a bike. By trial and error, if nothing else, you knew
a bit about handling the bike at speed.

Now we can get prosperous newbies who can barely balance blasting along at high
speed past hikers and horses. Crazy.

In areas of the European Alps, local bike shops have largely turned into
e-bike (nominally, pedelec) rental stations. Mountain rescue services are
experiencing a new challenge: Flocks of stupid, weak and inexperienced
tourists thought they were fine while e-climbing uphill into remote areas,
as far as the battery charge would carry them, but don't have the riding
skills to make it down again. They need transportation downhill, as do
their beloved, 50-lbs. bikes.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41R2z7FK97L.jpg
SCNR.