Old September 6th 19, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Another cyclist dead through stupidity of himself and his parents

On 06/09/2019 00:05, JNugent wrote:

On 05/09/2019 23:10, MrCheerful wrote:

Yesterday, an inquest heard driver Leah Niblett would not have had
enough time to prevent the fatal collision after Zack cycled off the
pavement and into the path of the oncoming car.
David Ridley, senior coroner for Wiltshire, concluded the boy’s death
was the result of a road traffic collision.
Cycling on the pavement of Hill Rise wearing his hood up and his
headphones in his ears, Zack was more than likely unaware of the
approaching car when he crossed into the road, coroner Mr Ridley
concluded.

https://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/ne...y-home-school/

I wonder how realistic it is to expect a young child to have road sense
and a sense of his own physical presence and that of others within space
which has to be shared in a structured way.

We have all seen children do what he did, and worse. And probably felt
relieved that fate was with us rather than against us that day.

I can remember what it was to be the parent of a child that age. Safety
was almost my absolute first concern, much, I suspect, to the
contemporary chagrin of those I was so careful to protect.

ERRATUM:
In the last sentence, "almost" should be read as "always".