Old February 8th 12, 02:08 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

Default ANOTHER Mountain Biker Dies!

"Rick Hopkins" wrote in message
On Feb 7, 1:49 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]
As usual, your comments have nothing to do with my statement, which
remains valid: mountain biking is MUCH more dangerous than hiking --
something that mountain bikers keep trying to sweep under the rug
(note: my comments are not restricted to heart attacks!). Not too many
hikers ram their heads into trees, break bones,or turn themselves into
paraplegics and quadriplegics, as mountain bikers do.... DUH!

Mike your reading and writing comprehension is poor and I must say,

disingenuous. I summarize this discussion: You posted an article
regarding a gentlemen who had a previous heart condition and died of a
heart attack while mt biking - he did not injure himself or die due to
crashing. - your post was and I quote "Evolution in Action!" Now as
this gentlemen died from a heart attack and did not die from crashing,
I noted that the the strenuous nature of mt biking puts this gentlemen
(or others like him) at no more risk then any other sport that also
puts similar loads on the heart. I indicated (and I am supported by
the medical literature) that sports like running, road cycling, speed
skating, inline skating, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, swimming,
basketball, soccer, tennis, etc. also result in increased workload to
the heart and individuals with pre-existing conditions would want to
take on these activities under the supervision of their doctor. Those
of us who do not have a family history of heart disease, no evidence
of heart disease and are relatively fit, will find that our risk of
suffering a cardiac incident is remarkably low and therefore
regardless of what of the aforementioned activities we engage in
(including mt. biking) we are not expected to suffer a heart attack,
and need not modify our activity/training to anticipate one. I
reiterate, your original post (i.e., the article you cited) and my
subsequent response focused on a single issue - comparing cardiac
events amongst the various strenuous sports. Healthy adults are at
extremely low risk of a cardiac event during all strenuous sports
including mt. biking. This was simply regarding heart health and
sports - if you have other issues, it was not a part of these original
posts and your attempt to shift the discussion is because you realized
you were simply wrong to make this a heart issue.

Why are you posting the whole damn mess just to make your non-point? Don't
you know how to edit a post?

We are comparing mountain biking to hiking only. You can hike all day long
and never have to worry about your freaking heart. In fact, taking a long
walk is good for your heart.

One other seldom noted fact you seem to have missed. Very many mountain
bikers are basically middle aged couch potatoes who only occasionally get
off their dead asses. Mountain biking for such jackasses is indeed dangerous
for their hearts as well as for other areas of their anatomies. Screw the
dumb *******s all the way to hell and back! If they want to traverse a
trail, let them do it walking, Wheels are for roads.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka