Old August 27th 10, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Bright Battery Headlights

On Aug 27, 9:02*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Aug 27, 9:25 am, Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2010-08-27, Jay Beattie wrote:

In my annual quest for a new headlight, I found this duo:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ight+&+Motion+...

Seems reasonably priced, and $.30 below MSRP!

*Is there anything on the market that is a real bang for the buck in
the super-bright LED category. *I don't need really long run times,
but I do need a good mount, sturdy wiring and reliability. *No
dynamos, please. -- Jay Beattie.

B&M Ixon IQ Speed. I bought mine directly from Peter White, and looooooove
it. Super bright, easy mount to the handlebars, and won't blind oncoming
traffic unless you specifically aim it to.

He also has a bunch of photos of various dynamo and battery beams at
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp if you want to compare..

Thanks for the endorsement. *I had the Inoled 10+ and battery pack on
my short list of bike things to buy with the next $200 burning a hole
in my pocket, but if Peter say's it's "undoubtedly the best road
headlight available for the money", and you are so highly satisfied
with yours... I'm going to revise my wish list.

(I only know that my current, Planet Bike 1-watt, headlight is way
better than no light at all, but not "super-bright".)

Perhaps it is time for you to look into a hub dynamo and a Cyo and
give up charging all those batteries. It's what I would do for an
extra margin of security if I commuted your distances. You don't have
to buy the spendy SON hub dynamo; the better Shimano ones are as good
(I have SON and two kinds of Shimano hub dynamos and they're all
fine). The thing is to have the best possible lamp, and that's the Cyo
Plus with a BUMM taillight, also with standlight, switched off the Cyo
(I have the D-Toplight XS Plus, which until recently was the best BUMM
sold, but the Toplight Line Plus is newer and very well spoken of).
Now, with the change out of your two hundred bucks...-- AJ