Old June 2nd 16, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

Default Sealed Bearings

"John B." wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 18:39:42 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 31 May 2016 21:38:48 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

wrote in message
With all the bikes I have I also have a bike for which I built the
wheels
on old Campy record hub on the back and DuraAce on the front.

After getting this bike back from a friend who was saving it for me
while
I was not in the best of health I rebuilt the wheels with new balls
and
Campy grease.

I have mostly modern wheelsets from Campy or Fulcrum (the people who
make
the modern Campy hubs etc.) These wheels have sealed bearings. These
sort
of bothered me when I saw them because of the drag of the seals. You
can
tell simply spinning the wheels in a stand. But I imagined that with
the
weight of a person this would be insignificant.

For the last couple of days I have been riding the old Look and in
fact
you CAN feel the difference between the open bearings and the sealed.
It
does coast much further and with less noise.

If you mean regular bearings like the ones used for gear box shafts;
there's
a choice between shielded and oil seal bearings.

The oil seal type have noticeable friction, while AFAIK: the shielded
type
just have a stainless steel shield that doesn't have any actual contact
with
the inner ring.

The oil seal type are only unavoidable if you need to contain oil.
The shielded type are OK with grease, but not 100% at keeping road grit
out.

You over simplify, There are basically three types of cartridge
bearing. Plain (open, no seals or shields), Shielded and Sealed.

Evidently not simple enough for you - the discussion was not about open
bearings.

No it wasn't, but then, you are so accustomed to shouting "****wit" I
thought it best to be overly cautious and cover all possible points of
contention, as it is obvious from the "Great V-brake Discussion" that
your mechanical abilities is, well, rather limited.

Obviously it was a mistake as you still shout and scream.

You're the one that keeps on ranting - and I've seen at least one other
person on the receiving end.