Old June 19th 16, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Toughest road bike tires?

On 2016-06-18 07:37, Roger Merriman wrote:
Bertrand wrote:

While I really like Continental Gatorskins because of their tough
running surface and acceptable cost per mile they have one major
drawback that almost all "modern" tires have: Weak side walls. I have
tubes with 0.120" (3mm) wall thickness in there but on Tuesday I got a
thorn through a sidewall and it went all the way ... psheeeoooouuu ...
resulting in a nice long walk home because getting those Gatorskins off
a flat Mavic rim out on the street is next to impossible. Other
Gatorskins came to premature grief because a side wall failed and an
"aneurysm" developed. So once I am through with my stash of remaining
Gatorskins I want to buy something better.

Which 700c/25mm tire has high puncture resistance _and_ thick sturdy
sidewalls like they were in the good old days? Wishlist:

1. 25mm wide would be nice. 28mm could become a challenge.

2. Doesn't have to be a racing slick. A coarse tread might actually be
nice for dirt roads. A cyclocross tire would be good if it isn't
fast-wearing on the road (like MTB tires unfortunately are).

3. Cost: $0.02/mile is what Gatorskins cost and I find that ok for a
bicycle tire.

4. Weight: Does not matter at all. Wire bead is fine.

5. Rolling resistance: Does not matter. I don't need to win a race but I
do need it to withstand very ugly road surfaces. And it must handle
weight because I often schlepp stuff on the road bike (luggage rack).

6. Ideally, easier mounting on flat rims. The Gatorskins seem a bit
undersized and only go on or come off my Mavic Module 3 Argent D rims
with brute force. On Tuesday I even snapped a nice Topeak lever getting
it off to fix the flat.

I've never used them, but the Schwalbe Marathon Plus seem to be the popular
tires for very tough conditions, and are available in 25mm:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...thon-plus-700c

They are supposed to be hard to mount, though.

i used them for a few years then the bike got stolen...

No harder to mount than any other tyre to be honest, I found.

Depends on the rims. I you have deep rims then just about any tire is
easy to mount. I have helped people fix flats (a surprising number of
road bike riders is quite clumsy at that) and mostly I could get the
tires off sans tools. But with my Mavic Module 3 rims, no dice. Their
cross section is almost square.

fairly shallow section rims I used a number of different tyres M+
gatorskins, mavic ones. all much of a muchness.

The Vredesteins I used in Europe went on and off in seconds. Fixing a
flat on the road was easy, something that is now next to impossible.
However, those tires were no match for the road conditions in
California, flats galore.

The worse I ever had where some DH tyres which did require a fair bit of
effort, the same rims pop on/off easly the XC tyres I now have on the
same rims.

I am trying to find DH-style tires for the 29" XC MTB, also for
durability reasons. The latest purchase is a CST Rock Hawk with thicker
side walls. Weighs over 2lbs so that is good news. I haven't mounted it
yet but the MTB has deep rims so tires come on and off in a breeze.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/