Old June 19th 16, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Toughest road bike tires?

On 2016-06-19 08:17, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/19/2016 10:26 AM, Joerg wrote:

The Vredesteins I used in Europe went on and off in seconds. Fixing a
flat on the road was easy, something that is now next to impossible.
However, those tires were no match for the road conditions in
California, flats galore.

In general, I find kevlar bead tires harder to mount & unmount compared
to tires with steel wire beads. I wonder if that's part of the
explanation for your experiences?

Yes, Kevlar doesn't stretch. I always prefer steel beads and almost all
my tires are steel bead. Except for one MTB tire I used to ride which
didn't come with steel.

If I still had old Betsy here I could pre-stretch the Gatorskins a little:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/images/splitter.JPG

But I want to get away from Gatorskins anyhow on account of their weak
side walls. So I'll have to minimize rides on rough turf until the last
one is through.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/